By: Megan Caroll | Candidate for Ottawa School Board Trustee, Zone 10
My name is Megan Carroll; I am running to be the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board trustee, Zone 10.
A bit about me
I am a full-time mother and have been focused on education since my son was born. I spent my teenage years as a counsellor at summer camps, where I had the opportunity to work with kids from all walks of life. My brother started volunteering with inner city youth, and I saw first-hand how important it is for the community to do whatever we can to provide the best education for all.
Why I’m running
I strongly believe we should expect access to world-class, high-quality public education for all of our children by creating the best atmosphere for each child to thrive, as well as informative programs and services beyond the classroom that teach our children important life skills. It is also paramount to me as a taxpayer that we keep costs low and balance the school board budget.
My objectives are to:
– Provide high-quality education and before/after-school programs and services that meet the needs of families in zone 10 so our children can grow and develop to reach their full potential;
– Ensure the Ottawa-Carleton District School board schools in zone 10 are safe, clean environments;
– Support teachers’ professional development;
– Expand environmental programs to support our kids’ desire to better protect and preserve the environment;
– Focus on nutritional, healthy options so children can learn to make the right lifestyle choices.
How I decided now is the time
I weighed the decision to run for School Board Trustee of zone 10 carefully before I decided to put my name to the ballot. I recognize the significance of this role, and the time, commitment and devotion required to do it well. I wanted to be confident that now was the right time for me and my family to take on such an important job. After careful consideration, I decided that now is the time to get involved and make a difference.