Rio Tinto IOC Booking: Celebrating women & gender diversity in politics
2021-22 marked 100 years of women in Canadian politics! On top of that, 2021 was a huge year in overall gains in political diversity in NL. We had several elections at ALL levels of government, in which Equal Voice NL played a major role. Ultimately, we saw the highest and most diverse representation of women and gender diverse individuals running in history, at all levels of government.
Additionally, it also marks 25 years in office for MP Yvonne Jones, who has served at municipal, provincial AND federal levels of public office. Yvonne happens to be the first:
- First independent woman ever elected in NL politics;
- First Inuit woman elected to House of Assembly;
- First woman in Labrador ever elected to provincial politics;
- First woman Minister of Fisheries in Eastern Canada;
- First woman to lead the Liberal Party of NL
While Yvonne is a member of the Liberal party, she wants to celebrate 25 years by supporting ALL future women and gender diverse leaders in Newfoundland and Labrador, no matter what political party or level of government they are affiliated with. To say EVNL is honoured to be chosen as a beneficiary of the opportunity is an understatement!
Hosted by: Lynn Burry
Opening Reception: Mix & mingle to the musical stylings of MUN Music Students. Sponsored by Seafair Capital.
- Canada’s first and only Inuk Classical Soloist, Deantha Edmunds
- 2021 MusicNL Pop Artist of the Year Rachel Cousins
- Legendary Comedian & Performer Sheila Williams
- Regards from first woman Premier Kathy Dunderdale (PC), first woman Finance Minister Joan Marie Aylward (Liberal) & Deputy Mayor of St. John’s, Sheilagh O’Leary (Municipal/ Ran NDP).
Take your chances on…
- Silent auction, prizes, and more!
The silent auction will be open to early ticket holders a week in advance, with the final opportunity to bid, during the night of.
In Support of Equal Voice NL
Equal Voice NL (EVNL) is a local multi-partisan non-profit (not charitable entity) that helps get more women and gender diverse individuals into positions of leadership and all levels of public office, including Indigenous band leadership.
EVNL is 100% volunteer run.
Learn more at www.EqualVoiceNL.ca.
*Attendees must be double vaccinated.
- Canadians Overwhelmingly Support Hybrid Models at All Levels of Government, New Survey Finds
- Equal Voice Applauds the Election of Toronto’s First Woman of Colour
- CELEBRATING A MILESTONE FOR WOMEN’S REPRESENTATION
- Equal Voice Bill 75
- Equal Voice Calls for Systemic Changes in Wake of Kitchener Centre MPP’s resignation