Future of The Vote
We are inviting 40 women and gender diverse individuals (ages 18 to 29) to become delegates for the day, representing each provincial riding in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Delegates will be selected through an open call for applications to participate in a dynamic political leadership summit in Newfoundland and Labrador’s House of Assembly, followed by a reception on Friday, October 21 2022. Applications close end of day on July 4th, 2022.
The program objective is to expose participants to the province’s political institution and those who work within it, as well as become more inspired to participate in the formal political sphere and take action in their local communities in the years and decades to come.
By taking part in the Future of the Vote program, you will…
- Delegates are provided the opportunity to learn more about Newfoundland and Labrador’s political institutions and processes.
- Delegates will take part in workshops, panels, training, and other key activities to gain a practical understanding of, and to develop key skills for working and engaging in politics.
- Delegates will learn about the challenges and barriers women and gender diverse individuals, particularly those belonging to equity-seeking communities, face in politics, and how to foster systemic change to make political institutions more accessible to women and gender diverse individuals, in all of their diversity.
- Delegates will have the opportunity to hear from, and meet with, a variety of elected officials, parliamentarians, and party representatives, from all political parties and from different levels of government.
- Delegates will engage with one another, as well as past delegates of the program, and develop key relationships with like-minded peers.
- Delegates will gain valuable hands-on experience engaging with elected officials from all political parties, the media, and other organizations leading the way towards increased women and gender diverse individual’s representation in politics.
If travel finances are a potential barrier to you, please do not let that stop you from applying. We have funding (limited, but allotted) for individuals outside of the Metro area who need support with transportation and accommodations, especially those from more rural, isolated or northern communities, including Labrador.
The program is made possible thanks to support from the Provincial Office of Women and Gender Equality, and our corporate and philanthropic partners.